Get more MOSS Error logs instead of “An unexpected error has occurred”


Are you getting frustrated with “An unexpected error has occurred” in sharepoint 2007? I found some useful tips. You can get more error messages from MOSS especially when they are not written to the application log. Do follow the steps below to get more:

1. Go into the web.config and set custom errors to off:

<customErrors mode=”Off” />

2. Turn on tracing and the callstack by setting both to true:

<SafeMode MaxControls=”200″ CallStack=”true” DirectFileDependencies=”10″ TotalFileDependencies=”50″ AllowPageLevelTrace=”true”>

3. There can be valuable info in the Event Log, so check there for more information on any exceptions that may have been thrown.

Problem with web part Target Audience


I am working on a SharePoint dashboard project recently. We have a lot of pie chart and graph integrated using Reporting Services Add-In web part. We have set Target Audience in each web part to offer multiple views to different users. It works fine in the past until this Monday. All the web part with target audience tie to AD group disappear. After spending half day on it, we found that the password for search service and content access crawler account expired. This effect the user profile and cause the target audience failed. Do check out these accounts if you have similar problem.